Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Fernando Alvarado, D.D.S.
Dr. Fernando Alvarado, a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, was raised in Valdosta, Georgia. He received a Bachelor of Science in biology from Valdosta State College in 1992 and then graduated from the University of Michigan (The University of Michigan is ranked the #1 Dental School in the country) in 1998 with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree. He went on to complete his internship in oral and maxillofacial surgery at Emory University in Atlanta and in 2003 completed a four-year residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery at Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis.
Dr. Alvarado is board certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology. He is a Fellow of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, and American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. He also serves as a consultant to the Georgia Board of Dentistry on Anesthesia.
Experience You Can Trust
Each year Dr. Alvarado attends numerous continuing education courses to maintain the highest standards of care in oral and maxillofacial surgery. This enables him to stay at the forefront of his specialty and ensures his patients receive current surgical information, diagnostic techniques, and surgical treatment. Providing optimal care in a safe and comfortable atmosphere is the highest priority in his office.
Dr. Alvarado is on staff at South Georgia Medical Center and has served as chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery. He is involved in many dental organizations at the state, national, and international levels. He has authored several articles that have been published in national journals. Dr. Alvarado maintains certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS).
Research and Publications
- University of Michigan Student Research Group, 1994-1998
- National Institute for Dental Research Student Research Fellowship, 1995-1996
- Campbell JH, Dr. Alvarado F, Murray A; Anticoagulation and Minor Oral Surgery: Should the Anticoagulation Regimen Be Altered? J Oral Maxillofac Surg 58: 131-135, 2000
- Waguespack SG, Dr. Alvarado F, Campbell JH: An Unusual Case Primary Hyperparathyroidism. The Endocrine Society. Toronto Canada. June 21-24, 2000. 82nd Annual Meeting
- Dr. Alvarado f, Waguespack SG, Campbell JH, Williams TP: A Gradually Expansile Lesion of the Mandible. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61: 1318-23, 2003
- Partridge CG, Campbell JH, Dr. Alvarado F: The Effect of Platelet-Inhibiting Medications on Bleeding from Minor Oral Surgery Procedures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66: 93-97, 2008
- Georgia Board of Dentistry, 2002
- General Anesthesia Permit, 2002
- Board Certification American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2006, re-certified 2015 ABOMS
- Board Certification National Dental Board of Anesthesiology, 2004
Services & Procedures
- Digital Imaging Technology
- Wisdom Teeth Extractions
- Dental Implants
- Tooth Extractions
- Bone Grafting
- Facial Trauma
- Oral Pathology
- Impacted Teeth
- Jaw Surgery
- Sleep Apnea