- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment. Although you may be instructed by Dr. Alvarado to take certain medications prior to surgery with a small amount of water.
- No smoking at least 24 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery and after.
- We do monitor your heart, blood pressure and blood oxygen during the procedure. We ask that you please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow (to allow placement of monitor pads and IV), and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear nail polish on the day of surgery, due to the blood oxygen probe that will placed over your fingernail.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you have had difficulties previously while having an IV started, please be sure to hydrate the day prior to your surgery.
- The patient should not use alcohol or drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. Additionally, the patient should not be left alone for 12 hours following the surgery.